Sunday, September 23, 2007

Good Cholesterol

An August LDL screening was disappointing. I begged 6 weeks from the doctor to transform my life. As I was leaving, he said "I'll call you with the bad news."


Since Wednesday I've been in the twilight time between having my blood tested and getting the results. Expecting to be cajoled into medication, I've been on a 5 day bender. Turkey, chocolate, hamburger, and ice cream. I put REAL BUTTER on my potatoes.


The doc just called. Good LDL, good HDL, good total. No meds. My plan worked. I guess I'll get to celebrate with a bowl of high fiber cereal.


What did I do? No animal fat, low saturated fat, all the olive oil & guacamole I wanted, lots of fiber, and plant sterol supplemented foods (margarine, o.j., granola bars). My biggest heartbreak was finding out that there is coconut fat in hot chocolate mix.


Here's a dilemma: my new best friend is in the no-fly(into the mouth) zone. That's right. Caffeinated cocoa. Farewell dear friend. I loved you only briefly, but passionately.

No comments: